Thursday, October 29, 2015

Previous Speaking Experiences

The most memorable public speaking I've done was in my high-school Humanities class. For the speech we had to choose three different artifacts that were a part of the humanities. For mine I chose the band Nirvana, the movie The Princess Bride, and lastly the dance group the Jabbowockeez. This was my most memorable public speaking experience because it was one of my first real speeches where I chose the topics. I knew the information extensively, but the problem I had was that I didn't practice enough. I went over my outline a few times, but mostly in my head. When I stood up to give my speech I could feel my body trembling slightly due to the nerves, and I distinctly remember thinking, "Oh shit." Overall my speech went well, but there were a few spots that I got stuck. I either couldn't remember a fact or I lost my place on my note-card, so I know that if I had practiced a few more times I would have nailed it!

My teacher, Mr. Harvey, 60 going on 35, was one of the most engaging and charismatic speakers I've met. He had such passion for what he taught that it was impossible not to be drawn in.
He set the stage for all of my public speaking, providing for me an excellent example to hopefully follow. The greatest strength I acquired from him was my passion when I'm speaking. I obviously did not directly get my passion from him, but he did show me the way in which I could express it. It's clear to me that if I am the one to choose the subject I am much more passionate about it. Even if I don't pick the topic, with a plethora of research I glean knowledge that's useful when I'm speaking. One thing that I've always been grateful for is that when I learn something that interests me, it sticks.  To maintain my passion I only need sufficient knowledge of the subject and an inkling of interest.

My main weakness when speaking is nervousness. When I have too many nerves my mind blanks, making my cadence sound disjointed. I sincerely believe that with more practice I can remedy my weakness. With more practice my speech will be coherent, which mean in the end I will be more successful in getting my point across.

2 comments:

  1. I have trouble with blanking as well no matter how much I practice, except mine is brought about by making eye contact. I can relate to the feeling of completely blanking in front of an audience. Standing their as they wait for what you will say next but you have no idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great you had someone like your teacher there for you. Those people, even if not directly, can teach you an incredible amount. Nerves are a problem for everyone, and I get what you mean by blanking. Sometimes I completely stop thinking, enough that I don't even feel the nerves anymore, it's odd. Practice a good amount for this TED Talk and you'll nail it!

    ReplyDelete